Shantell's Cafe

You can find the ridiculously self-indulgent (as if this isn't?) version of the intestinal saga elsewhere, if this computer allows, but this here is the food blog so food me, right? Well, yesterday, for various reasons, I drank 20 ounces of Kevita Master Brew Kombucha Tart Cherry drink. Today I drank 13.5 ounces of Suja Organic Probiotic Apple Cider Vinegar Peace Ginger Juice drink. It has been a rough couple of weeks for this body. Now we are consuming yucky drinks. And I hear 4,000,000,000 (yes, four billion) active alive bacteria is not a lot. Food? Oh yes, this is a food blog, right. I ate at Shantell's Cafe and at first I was thinking, omg another unsanitary buffet while I am still recovering from the last one? The food was mostly bland, though tasty, though not hot sitting under heat lamps for too long and yet, live music (blues jazz) and glittery bohemian (I know, almost an oxymoron) atmosphere and above all else, very friendly people (all one big family?) made it a fun experience. Prices were high, but fried catfish bites were yummy. If you enjoy hoe-made southern cooking and are willing to go $15 for it, this place is for you. It's less than a half mile from where I'm sitting and open until 4:00 AM on weekends, so except for my waistline concerns, I'll be back. They have a karaoke night, a comedy night, private parties, a sunday buffet (welcoming bikers), and more. Shantell is a survivor, a southern mom with NYC experience and education, and I am rooting for her to succeed in her latest restaurant.

Comments